[Xymon] Modernizing the DNS check

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 8 09:39:36 CET 2014

Den 08-01-2014 06:07, Jeremy Laidman skrev:
> On 8 January 2014 13:44, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me
> <mailto:feld at feld.me>> wrote:
>
>     The question here is "Are the publicly accessible NS servers in a
>     consistent functional state?". The goal is not to validate the data.
>

> So, I suppose the "object" you're trying to watch is the
> "NS" consistency state of the zone.  So yes, you'd alert against the
> zone name such as what you've shown in your hosts.cfg example.

Testing this would essentially do

    dig example.com ns
    <grab the list of dns servers>
    dig @ns1 example.com soa
    dig @ns2 example.com soa
    <compare soa records to see if they are identical>

Xymon can do the DNS lookups, all that is needed is to cook up the
necessary data analysis.

I think this should be a separate test from the normal "dns" column?