[Xymon] Modernizing the DNS check

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jan 8 06:07:40 CET 2014

Yes, lots of good rebuttals there.  I think I have to agree that most of my
proposed checks are quite niche, but the one you've proposed is probably
the least niche of the lot.  So if a sizeable number of Xymonsters could
make of it without needing too much configuration (hence complex parsing
code), then it's worthy of inclusion.

On 8 January 2014 13:44, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me> wrote:

> The question here is "Are the publicly accessible NS servers in a
> consistent functional state?". The goal is not to validate the data.

So, I suppose the "object" you're trying to watch is the
"NS" consistency state of the zone.  So yes, you'd alert against the zone
name such as what you've shown in your hosts.cfg example.

Although I can't speak for Henrik's design model, I do think that xymonnet
is not geared up to monitor this type of object, and instead it expects its
objects to all have either one IP address, or a name that resolves to an IP
address.

So really, I think the answer to your original question is that the DNS
check capability probably can not be easily enhanced to check something
that doesn't look like a host.

But there's no reason I can think of that some zone check code couldn't be
added into some other part of Xymon.  But probably not as an extension to
the existing DNS check.

Many of the internal checks seem to have been modelled on ext scripts.