[Xymon] xymon on a large architecture

Clark, Sean sean.clark at twcable.com
Wed Dec 17 19:46:17 CET 2014

So I have a setup where, in total, I monitor about 300,000 hosts.

It's regionalized though,  with the largest site having roughly 34,000 hosts

The xymon daemon runs on a VM, with 16 GB of Ram, and 4x2.5 Ghz xeon processors. The virtual NIC is a 1000Mb

It currently handles 481 msgs/sec (the hosts.cfg is 1.2 Mb)

Here are some ideas:

(1) Obviously split pollers out into separate machines
(2) Change the history daemon (Henrick as some sample daemons in the source code) - I changed it to write stachg and clichg and such are written out to mysql instead of files, and the textblog is compressed. This helped with managing history
(3) Use JC Cleaver's patches http://terabithia.org/rpms/xymon/  -- he has several memory leak fixes, tuning optimizations. I would just say that if you use clientupdate, you will have to patch his things a little bit
(4) An interesting thing you can do, if you have the means via a load balancer is -->
    (a) I have 10 pollers for this instance. All of them run xymonproxy on localhost (stuff they poll reports to localhost and gets forwarded up)
    (b) Using a load balancer for they xymon IP address, it inspects the first 12 characters of a xymon message – if it's something that can be combo'd in proxy it passes to a poller in the pool, otherwise, it sends it to the real xymon IP
(5) JC has some nanomsg options for channels, and myself, I use AMQP for channels to communicate data outbound. Both of these help if you use xymondata outside of the stock app

For your setup, rather than running more xymond's on different ports, setup xymonproxy's on different machines, and point your clients to them. Then you won't have to migrate your history files or anything else. But I would look at changing your history setup, as several million files gets very unwieldy to manage, but millions of rows in databases are much easer to do.