[Xymon] Monitoring Directory Permissions

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 04:28:29 CET 2014

OK, now I am completely confused.

Let's assume directory to be monitored is /foo/bar
Here's what I had.
[client1]
log:/var/adm/messages
file:/foo/bar

[client2]
log:/var/adm/messages
file:/foo/bar

In desperation, I tried
[client1]
log:/var/adm/messages
file:/foo/bar

[client2]
log:/var/adm/messages
file:/foo/bar
log:/foo/bar

Not actually expecting much.
But it started working - on both client systems?!?!?!

I removed
log:/foo/bar
And it's still working?!?!?!

WTF?

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it's working again, but I just
don't understand how this has happened.
Remember, both the clients were reporting "No such file or directory"
The change made to the server config, would have only gone down to one
client.
But both started working.

On 3 December 2014 at 08:36, Bill Arlofski <waa-hobbitml at revpol.com> wrote:

> On 12/02/2014 07:25 PM, Vernon Everett wrote:
> > Hi Tim,Bill
> >
> > Thanks for that.
> > That's exactly how I thought I had it, and how I have it configured now.
> > But it doesn't seem to work.
> > Also, on the files status page, I see the directory, but clicking on it,
> I get
> > nothing. Blank page.
> > In the client data page, it gives me
> > ERROR: No such file or directory
> >
> > The directory does exist. I would have the world breathing down my neck
> right
> > now if it didn't.
> > I have tried to ls the directory as Xymon to ensure I have read
> permissions in
> > the parent directory, and it works there.
> >
> > But good to know I am on the right track. Something else must be wrong.
> I will
> > investigate further.
> >

> Hi Vernon
>
> Before I sent my response, I actually did set up a full test of a dir as
> described using version 4.3.12 client and 4.3.17 server and can verify
> that it
> does work, so if it is not a Xymon version issue, it may just be a perms
> issue
> on the remote host..
>
> Obvious, I know, but check the paths all the way down to the directory.
> Make
> sure that Xymon can get there. just a thought.
>
> > And yes, I am expecting this to end with a face-palm moment.
> > Most of the problems I face in IT get resolved that way. :-)
>
> heh, right?   Good to hear I am not alone.
>

> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Arlofski
> Reverse Polarity, LLC
> http://www.revpol.com/
> -- Not responsible for anything below this line --

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton