[Xymon] Monitoring Directory Permissions

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Wed Dec 3 01:14:02 CET 2014

On 12/02/2014 02:28 AM, Vernon Everett wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I have a *directory *on a client system, and it needs to have permission of 777
> From time to time, automated software updates sets it to 770.
> I am looking for a way to check this, and alert when permissions are not as
> they should be.
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Vernon

Hi Vernon!

You are going to <facepalm> for sure,  but here goes.

This thread intrigued me, so I set up a test.

All you need to do is set up the directory test just like you would a file
test. :)

So, client-local.cfg:

[remote.host.name]
file:/path/of/DIRECTORY_To_Monitor

then, in analisys.cfg:

HOST=remote.host.name
  FILE /path/of/DIRECTORY_To_Monitor MODE=777 yellow

Now, if the perms on the _directory_ are incorrect the "files" test page will
show:

*File* is mode 770 - should be 777

instead of:  Directory is mode....

But that should not be an issue, because it is just the wrong word for a
directory, and the actual Xymon test that you would set up for alerting on is
the "files" test anyway, right ?

Sorry to be the bringer of obvious tidings.   heh  :)

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC