[Xymon] alerts.cfg and disabled tests

Becker Christian christian.becker at rhein-zeitung.net
Tue Dec 2 10:40:48 CET 2014

Hello,

please, can anybody explain if i either understand something wrong or if i have a failure in my Xymon setup?

First, let me find a few words about my constellation and then, let me explain my problem.....

This is my constellation:
I have a server "SERVER-A.my.domain" that is running "SERVICE-A".
I have another server "SERVICE-A-CONN-CHECK" which is verifying if the service "SERVICE-A" is reachable on "SERVER-A.my.domain"
This server "SERVICE-A-CONN-CHECK" sends the result to the column "SERVICE-A" (-and not to the svcs column-) for the host "SERVER-A.my.domain"  on my Xymon server.
The main reason why I'm doing this in this constellation is, that server "SERVICE-A-CONN-CHECK" is located in another datacenter on a different subnet and I want to make sure that service "SERVICE-A" is available from that other datacenter.
All of this is working like a charm.

Further, i've configured the following in my alerts.cfg:

                HOST=SERVER-A.my.domain SERVICE=SERVICE-A
                SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl emailaddress at my.domain COLOR=red FORMAT=PLAIN RECOVERED
SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/SERVER-A/reboot-SERVER-A.sh COLOR=RED

The idea behind this is to receive an email in html format once "SERVER-A.my.domain" has error condition red on service "SERVICE-A" and to receive a recovered email as well.
And, in addition to that, the policy in our company is, that server "SERVER-A.my.domain" needs to be rebooted once service "SERVICE-A" has error condition red.
This is done using the second SCRIPT statement from the above.

Basically, all of the above is working.

Now here's my question:
>From the web ui of my Xymon server I have set all the columns of "SERVER-A.my.domain" to disabled for 1 hour due to service reasons.
I have verified that all of the columns changed their color to blue before doing the service on "SERVER-A.my.domain".
Once the colors have changed we have stopped "SERVICE-A" on "SERVER-A.my.domain".

And then, I did receive an email notification about that fact and the server "SERVER-A.my.domain" was rebooted by the script line from the statement in alerts.cfg.
During this, all of the columns for that server were still blue.

My understanding was that way, that Xymon does NOT process a HOST-based statement (and the there configured rules) in alerts.cfg, if that HOST is disabled in Xymon?
Or does this only mean, that Xymon does not show this fact as red condition on the web ui?

I hope my situation is described clearly enough.... If not, let me know, I'll try to explain better then....

Hope anybody can lead me to the light....

Regards
Christian

Christian Becker
IT-Services

Christian.Becker at rhein-zeitung.net<mailto:Christian.Becker at rhein-zeitung.net>
Mittelrhein-Verlag GmbH
August-Horch-Straße 28
D-56070 Koblenz
Verleger und Geschäftsführer: Walterpeter Twer
Reg.-Gericht Koblenz HRB 121
Finanzamt Koblenz Str.Nr. 22 65 10 285 2
www.rhein-zeitung.de<http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/>