[Xymon] http column only has dashes

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Aug 18 19:54:51 CEST 2014

On 8/18/2014 9:16 AM, usa ims wrote:
> I am under the assumption if I put 'http' in the bb-host file, it will monitor http on that node.
>
> I cannot get the 'http' test to report -- it is only reporting dashes.
>
> Here is part of my bb-host file
>
> subpage test test
> group-only http|conn|cpu|disk|memory|raid
> 10.xxx.xxx.123  www.example.coml #CompReport
>
> The above is reporting everything except 'http', does anybody have a clue?

You need something like

10.xxx.xxx.123  hostname.foo.com  # http://hostname.foo.com/index.html
  - or -
0.0.0.0   hostname.foo.com  # http://hostname.foo.com/index.html

The latter syntax is preferable but requires that your host have a
resolvable name. hostname.foo.com needs to match whatever you have
defined as the node-name in your client. The # symbol separates tags,
tests, and options for this host. The test (beginning with "http:") is
defined specifically for this host.

The http test I have exampled above will return green if the request for
index.html results in anything which is NOT an HTML error status. It
does not confirm the content on the page, only the non-error return status.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration