[Xymon] custom xymon web pages

Arnold, Whitney warnold at websense.com
Tue Apr 29 06:47:43 CEST 2014

We are using xymon to monitor about 2500+ nodes in our production system.   We have broken up our system to pages, however, but even with that criteria the pages are getting much bigger and taking longer to load.

We are coming to a point that we need to be able to filter certain pages based on flexible criteria.    For instance, we have all of one type of system on a page set which has 300 nodes.   It is helpful at times to see all 300 nodes, but at some point you need to filter down.   Say you only want to see the systems that are getting a release, or the systems in a region, or the systems in one location in the region, or even down to the one system you are working on at the moment.  We aren't going to be able to define the different filters up front as there are just so many options.

I am thinking of some script akin to bb2board.pl which we adopted and have modified to great effect as our current non-green board.  We have added multiple filters to pass on to xymondboard (alert color, host name, time slices, you name it) and then we build a web page with the resulting alerts found from xymondboard and use the xymon header and footers.

What I am asking in this particular case is to see all the tests for a server and their current status much as I would in a regular xymon page view.      I know I can use xymondboard to get all the test values for a system, but that doesn't seem to handle the combo tests, and it seems like rewriting a lot of existing code.

So what I'm looking for is there a way to create a hobbit page on the fly for just a section of the hosts.cfg file?

Anybody else come across this need before?

Thank you!

WHITNEY ARNOLD
Cloud Operations Lead (Americas)
WEBSENSE, INC.