[Xymon] Question about the data message format and rrd

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Apr 4 16:22:57 CEST 2014

On 3 April 2014 17:10, Eenkhoorn, (Klaas) <klaas.eenkhoorn at vtspn.nl> wrote:

>  I've constructed the following data message:
>
> [statistics.rrd]
> DS:abc:GAUGE:600:0:U 20
> DS:def:GAUGE:600:0:U 15
> DS:ghi:GAUGE:600:0:U 0

Looks OK to me.

>  From the client the message will be send with:
>
> "data application.vmware.local.trends `cat /tmp/message`"

I think the contents of /tmp/message needs to start on a newline.

> Result:
> Sometimes the file statistics.rrd in ~/data/rrd/application.vmware.local
> gets an update sometimes not.

The man page for xymond_rrd states that it caches updates to RRD files for
up to 30 minutes.  I've found that refreshing a graph in the web interface
seems to cause xymond_rrd to flush its cache and update the RRD files.  You
can run xymond_rrd with a "--no-cache" parameter to disable the cache.

> And if it gets filled or created the value will be empty.
> This is determent by using 'rrdtool dump statistics.rrd'

RRD needs a few samples without intervals that are too large, otherwise it
will throw away such untrustworthy data.