[Xymon] CLOCK and CPU test

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Sep 25 22:15:57 CEST 2013

On Wed, September 25, 2013 12:35 pm, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I suspect I know the answer to this but want to check:
>
> I'm running Xymon 4.3.12. My manager has recently brought up the need
> to have the clock drift monitored (it caused problems with a DB server
> when there was massive drift once for some reason). I looked into how
> to do this and it looks like the highest level that clock drift can
> cause Xymon to alert at is yellow. This means that if I wanted to be
> alerted, I'd have to also get alerted for yellow CPU on that machine,
> right? So far my only idea is to raise the yellow level for CPU. I
> don't really want to bother with an external test.
>
> Any tips?

According to
http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/manpages/man5/analysis.cfg.5.html you
should be able to add a line like

CLOCK 15 red

... to an analysis.cfg file (or *.d/ entry) to have it go red if the clock
delta exceeds that absolute value. I have to admit not having tested that
ever though.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to simulate it (or assign the
color to a different test entirely) with a DS entry; something like:

DS cpu clock.rrd:la <-15 COLOR=red "TEXT=System clock is &V seconds off"
DS cpu clock.rrd:la >15 COLOR=red "TEXT=System clock is &V seconds off"

HTH,

-jc