[Xymon] Can anyone confirm unexpected behavior of DISPLAYGROUP in alerts.cfg ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Oct 11 18:46:51 CEST 2013

On 10/10/2013 6:26 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> On 11 October 2013 12:08, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov> wrote:
>
>> If, however, I change the group name to be the single word "Solaris"
>> (withoug quotes) and change the line in alerts.cfg to be:
>>    DISPLAYGROUP=Solaris
>> then it works without complaint.
>>

> Some config files require quotes to be around the keyword also.  Can you
> see if this works:
>
>    "DISPLAYGROUP=Solaris T3 Servers"

This has been tested and determined that it doesn't work. But
  DISPLAYGROUP=%Solaris\sT3\sServers
does work. Which is a little less error-prone than the [[:space:]] syntax.

This appears to be consistent with the documented (and observed)
behavior of the "cont" test as outlined in hosts.cfg.5.html

> cont[=COLUMN];URL;[expected_data_regexp|#digesttype:digest]
>     This tag is used to specify a http/https check, where it is also checked that specific content is present in the server response.. .
- snip -
> The data that must be returned can be specified either as a regular expression (except that <space> is not allowed) . . .
- snip -
> If you must have whitespace in the regex, use the [[:space:]] syntax . . .

I'm going to put this down to a defect in documentation.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration