[Xymon] Content check question

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Oct 11 04:17:53 CEST 2013

On 11 October 2013 12:34, Scot Kreienkamp <SKreien at la-z-boy.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the TCP dump idea Jeremy, that was spot on.  I assumed that
> I had to escape the special characters in the URL as I did on the command
> line.  Apparently Xymon already takes care of that for me.

Not quite.  What was most likely happening is that your shell was
interpreting the "&" character for you (to put the command to that point
into background), and you needed to escape it to prevent this from
happening.  Xymon didn't take care of these for you, it simply doesn't use
special characters, other than the space character, in this context.

It's unlikely that the "?" needed escaping on the command line.  A "?"
causes the shell to try a glob match on a filename, but you probably don't
have a filename matching "cont=...?..." and so it didn't expand to anything
when not escaped.  In the shell, "\?" is treated the same as "?" if there
is no glob match, which is why it worked.

When I looked at the dump the escapes were being passed straight through.
> As soon as I took them out I started getting the true  response that I was
> looking for.

Glad to hear it.

>   There was no space, that’s my email client being “helpful”.

Ah yes.  When computers try to be helpful, they don't always succeed.