[Xymon] WinPSClient - Updates?

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Wed Nov 20 23:48:06 CET 2013

All,

Apologies on not responding to this.

The existing XymonPSClient works just fine running its own scheduling.
For the most part it also seems to be well behaved and not leak memory -
it is fairly proactive about explicit garbage collection. On first run
it gathers a number of data items from WMI on a much longer refresh
cycle and reports them as part of the client report - these items are
fairly slow to report and don't change much if at all. While that could
be handled by saving and restoring state between runs and using a
Scheduled task rather than service runner, it makes things more
complicated. Also need to consider measures to prevent multiple
instances running if Scheduled tasks fire up when the previous one is
still running - for example doing the refresh of the long refresh cycle
WMI info (maybe there's an in-built mechanism for this?).

External scripts however are much more problematic to manage scheduling
for, and using scheduled tasks could be a much better way to handle them.

David.