[Xymon] not receiving alerts

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Nov 12 04:47:51 CET 2013

On 12 November 2013 00:56, Kris Springer <kspringer at innovateteam.com> wrote:

> When I run that command as user xymon, it attempts then hangs.
> root at ip:~# su xymon

Good.

> xymon at ip:/home/ubuntu$ su xymon -c xymoncmd echo "mail test" | $MAIL
> "Xyon [12345] VM-Firesall:proc CRITICAL (RED)" support at innovateteam.com

No, this won't do the same thing as I said.  The "$MAIL" variable will be
expanded by the shell of the xymon user, which won't have run xymoncmd yet,
and so $MAIL probably will be defined as /var/mail/xymon - the path to the
xymon user's mailbox file, /var/mail/xymon (which doesn't exist because the
xymon user has never received mail).

(Also, you have already run "su xymon" so no need to do it a second time.)

Instead, you should run xymoncmd, and then at a command prompt (once $MAIL
is defined) run the subsequent command.  You could even do "echo $MAIL" in
the middle, to be sure, like so:

$ su xymon
$ echo $MAIL
/var/mail/xymon
$ xymoncmd
$ echo $MAIL
/usr/bin/mail
$ echo "mail test" | $MAIL "what ever you want here"
support at innovateteam.com

Cheers
Jeremy