[Xymon] not receiving alerts

Kris Springer kspringer at innovateteam.com
Mon Nov 11 14:56:48 CET 2013

Alright.  Now we may be getting somewhere.

When I run that command as user ubuntu, it attempts then hangs.
ubuntu at ip:~$ su xymon -c xymoncmd echo "mail test" | $MAIL "Xymon [12345]
VM-Firewall:proc CRITICAL (RED)" support at innovateteam.com
-bash: /var/mail/ubuntu: No such file or directory
Password:
2013-11-11 05:41:39 Using default environment file
/usr/lib/xymon/client/etc/xymonserver.cfg

When I run the command as user root, it attempts then hangs.
ubuntu at ip:~# sudo bash
root at ip:~# su xymon -c xymoncmd echo "mail test" | $MAIL "Xymon [12345]
VM-Firewall:proc CRITICAL (RED)" support at innovateteam.com
bash: /var/mail/root: Permission denied
2013-11-11 05:44:20 Using default environment file
/usr/lib/xymon/client/etc/xymonserver.cfg

When I run that command as user xymon, it attempts then hangs.
root at ip:~# su xymon
xymon at ip:/home/ubuntu$ su xymon -c xymoncmd echo "mail test" | $MAIL "Xyon
[12345] VM-Firesall:proc CRITICAL (RED)" support at innovateteam.com
bash: /var/mail/xymon: No such file or directory
Password:
2013-11-11 05:47:16 Using default environment file
/usr/lib/xymon/client/etc/xymonserver.cfg

I have to CTRL+C to stop it when it hangs, and I never receive any emails
from these tests.

Thank you.
*Kris Springer*