[Xymon] display multiple line status

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri May 10 02:19:22 CEST 2013

I don't think the xymon command will do any escaping.  Instead you need to
pass the newline literally.  Why is it you can't use a file?  Knowing why
you're constrained would make it easier to propose a suitable solution.

You could do something like this:

$XYMON $XYMSRV "status www,foo,com.http green `date` Web OK
second line"

Or to make it more readable:

NL='
' # newline
$XYMON $XYMSRV "status www,foo,com.http green `date` Web OK${NL}second line"

Or maybe this would work for you:

printf "status www,foo,com.http green `date` Web OK\nsecond line\n" | $XYMON
$XYMSRV "@"

Or of you don't like to use printf:

{ echo "status www,foo,com.http green `date` Web OK"; echo "second line\n";
} | $XYMON $XYMSRV "@"

Cheers
Jeremy