[Xymon] xymon as a drop-in bb replacement

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 20:50:54 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 10:55 -0800, John Thurston wrote:
> We ran BB 1.9 for years, then switched to BBPE about three years ago.
> Earlier this month, Quest announced end-of-life for BBPE so we're
> looking at our options.
>
> We have fewer than 500 clients reporting into Big Brother. But swapping
> them out for something else is going to painful and take time. If a
> xymon server will happily accept bb-client messages, then I could stand
> up a xymon server and replace clients through attrition.
>
> Has anyone else recently gone down this path?

Hello,

Not too recently, around autumn 2011. I use Xymon to monitor around 20
servers, so obviously not on your scale of things! :-) However, I would
suggest installing Xymon on a test server initially, see how it works
and what needs configuring, and likewise install it onto a client (and
have the server monitor the client). We found that once we had a test
server and client running, the actual move to a live Xymon server and
clients was very easy. With this setup you should be able to see if
Xymon is going to work with your BB configuration files (which for
generic BB files, I think Xymon will work out of the box).

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001