[Xymon] Phantom trap alerts?

Betsy Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:37:49 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Jeremy Laidman
<jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:
> On 12 March 2013 21:54, Betsy Schwartz <betsy.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We have one class of device (exadata storage cels)  , and one single
>> server out of hundreds, for which we occasionally get bogus trap
>> alerts.
>

> Are you talking of SNMP traps?

Yes, we don't use them at all, and then out of the blue we'll get a purple:

clear Thu Feb 16 10:31:22 2012
Unknown trap (.1.3.6.1.4.1.111.16.2.0.1)

We've only gotten them for one particular linux host, plus several
Exadata cels.  The above OID is from an exadata cell and does appear
to be from an Oracle Exadata mib . But why would the xymon server,
only occasionally, get one of these when SNMP is not enabled? I'm not
running devmon, not sure what other ways there are to have Xymon pick
up an snmp alert?