[Xymon] rrd network graphs on windows check

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Jun 25 05:07:24 CEST 2013

On 25 June 2013 07:03, B-Art Gillis <bacaselo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your answer but I just saw on the graph that the values are
> converted to rrd data seem to come from the "do_netstat.c" module.

No, if you want interface statistics then you want ifstat parsed in
do_ifstat.c.  If you want protocol statistics (layer 3 and above such as
TCP and UDP) then you would want a [netstat] section parsed in
do_netstat.c.  The message example you gave shows interface statistics.

Xymon expects the format to match ifstat_bbwin_exprs[] (defined in
do_ifstat.c). This includes an IP address then the in and out byte count.
 The output of "netstat -e" does not provide an IP address, and it provides
much more than just the bytes in and out.  You'd have to select the Bytes
line and prefix it with an IP address (probably a dummy device name would
do also).

Something like:

EthDev 144681781 42531845

Any whitespace can be used as separators (one or more tabs or spaces).

You could probably get away with this:

echo [netstat] & netstat -e | find "Bytes"

This would give "Bytes" as a devicename, but I don't think it would break
anything.

You need to prefix this message with the correct "client" message header.
 If you're sending other client data, this should be included with that
message, otherwise one will mask the other.

The client message might look something like this:

client server1.win32
[netstat]
Bytes      144681781        42531845

To get Xymon to match against the bbwin match string, you have to report
your OS in the message as "bbwin" or "win32".  This is probably why you're
getting the "reports netstat for an unknown OS" message.