[Xymon] Windows Client

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Wed Jul 31 01:29:39 CEST 2013

On 31/07/13 1:17 AM, Henrik Størner wrote:
> On 30-07-2013 16:32, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
>> Couldn't tell  you what version of PS I was running, but it was the
>> current one of the time.  I never saw anything but a small spike
>> reported back to Xymon, so if you're looking there you won't see
>> them.  I only saw them when I was watching the task manager on the
>> server itself.  The servers were sitting between 10-15% usage
>> generally, and would only spike when the WinPSClient ran.  This was
>> on 2008R2 VM's on ESX4 at the time.
>
> My "gut feeling" is that it is the eventlog-scanning that causes many
> of these spikes - it certainly was/is with the old BBWin client, and I
> would suspect that WinPSClient has the same problem.
>
> Could be wrong - it's been quite some time since I delved into it.

The eventlog scanning was unfinished business. The Get-EventLog cmdlet
is very basic - from memory, despite it having options like -After it
would in fact scan the entire event log every time. Get-WinEvent is the
updated version - not sure if that was available on 2003. I'd started
looking at the .Net eventlog stuff as a workaround and that was more
promising, but since I log ship everything to a central server with
syslog and process it there, eventlog stuff was not a high priority with me.

David.

--
David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.