[Xymon] Xymon 4.3.12 released

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Tue Jul 30 14:01:10 CEST 2013

On 07/27/13 03:53, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi Henrik,

>>> No. I suppose I could figure out how to request one - unless someone
>>> else already knows how ?
>>
>> I requested one via the Debian Security Team.
>
> CVE-2013-4173[1] has been assigned to this issue. Thanks to Salvatore
> Bonaccorso for his help.
>
>  [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.oss.general/10728
>
> In case you want to request one yourself next time, see
> https://people.redhat.com/kseifrie/CVE-OpenSource-Request-HOWTO.html
> for instructions.
>
> 		Kind regards, Axel Beckert

Hi Axel, Henrik

I noticed in the CVE link provided the following:

--[snip]--
> If access to administrative commands is limited by use of the
> "--admin-senders" option for the "xymond" daemon, then the attack
> is restricted to the commands sent from the IP-adresses listed in
> the --admin-senders access list. However, the default
> configuration permits these commands to be sent from any IP.
--[snip]--

However, I checked several Xymon and Hobbit installations that we manage and
each of them has the --admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$BBSERVERIP (for hobbit) and
--admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$XYMONSERVERIP (for xymon) set.

I know for a fact that these settings were not manually added to the xymond
daemon CMDs on our servers, so this appears to be the default, which means
that by default Xymon (and Hobbit) systems are "not vulnerable."

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

--
Bill Arlofski