[Xymon] EXT :Re: How does Xymon update host config info?

Mills, David (IS) David.Mills at ngc.com
Thu Jul 18 18:31:31 CEST 2013

Thanks, Henrik!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
David Mills
Systems Administrator
Northrop Grumman
(512) 873-6665

From: Xymon [xymon-bounces at xymon.com] on behalf of Henrik Størner [henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:30 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: EXT :Re: [Xymon] How does Xymon update host config info?

> For example, I would have said that running "xymongen" reads the config
> data in hosts.cfg and immediately populates the Xymon structures, so
> that running "xymon ... "xymondboard"", for example, would immediately
> post results for a new host entered into hosts.cfg.
>
> However, I see this is not the case. I have to wait for a few minutes
> sometimes, before such new hosts become "visible". Can someone please
> explain how Xymon updates itself in this way?

In the newer Xymon versions, the hosts.cfg file is really only read by
the xymond daemon process. This checks for updates to hosts.cfg every 15
minutes - if that is too slow, you can send a HUP signal (kill -HUP) to
the xymond process.

All of the other tools fetch the hosts.cfg config from xymond via a
network connection, which eliminates the need to sync the config files
between nodes if you have e.g. separate network test nodes.

There's a separate semi-odd behaviour involved in new hosts: If you've
defined a "group" in hosts.cfg and there are no data from any of the
hosts (no network test results or client status messages), then xymongen
will not show that group on the webpage. As soon as just one of the
hosts has a result, the entire group appears.