[Xymon] EXT :Re: How does Xymon save state between server reboots?

Mills, David (IS) David.Mills at ngc.com
Tue Jan 29 17:07:33 CET 2013

Thanks, JC!

;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: cleaver at terabithia.org [mailto:cleaver at terabithia.org]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 7:07 PM
To: Mills, David (IS)
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: EXT :Re: [Xymon] How does Xymon save state between server reboots?

> Just curious: does anyone know how Xymon retains host / service state
> information between reboots of the Xymon server? I mean, if you have
> Host_A with services in various states, and then you bounce the Xymon
> server, does the server re-acquire all the services / states for
> Host_A from scratch, or does it retain any state information from
> somewhere on disk?

xymond is (normally) configured with the --checkpoint-file and --restart options set, which specifies the location of the file where all of this is saved between restarts.

'man xymond'

--checkpoint-file=FILENAME
  With regular intervals, xymond will dump all of its internal state to this check-point file. It is also dumped when xymond terminates, or when it receives a SIGUSR1 signal.

--checkpoint-interval=N
  Specifies the interval (in seconds) between dumps to the check-point file. The default is 900 seconds (15 minutes).

--restart=FILENAME
  Specifies  an existing file containing a previously generated xymond checkpoint. When starting up, xymond will restore its internal state from the information in this file. You can use the same filename for "--checkpoint-file" and "--restart".

Regards,
-jc