[Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

Another Xymon User xymon at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Jan 25 02:30:39 CET 2013

This looks odd. I thought I remembered Henrik saying that xymon
doesn't test ca chains, and found this:

">_ So, we have an internal
CA. So I'm guessing I need to install the CA's certificate of authority
to clear this issue up? _ No, you don't. Xymon doesn't perform
validation of certificate chains like curl does - essentially, Xymon
behaves like curl with the "--insecure" option. Try running "xymonnet
--version" to see if it is able to load the SSL library at all - you
should see the SSL library version listed. If that doesn't give you a
clue, run "xymoncmd xymonnet --debug HOSTNAME" and see what details it
gives about why it cannot connect to the site."

(http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2011-August/032384.html)

But
the problem in that instance was the openssl libraries not being linked
into xymon, and if that were Jason's case I'd expect the godaddy certs
to be failed as well. In any case, the diagnostics Henrik calls out
might give a clue.

On 2013-01-24 19:39, Ralph Mitchell wrote:

> It
sounds like perhaps your internal CA certificate(s) are no longer
available for xymon to validate the server certificates. I don't have a
Fedora18 installation handy right now, but looking at CentOS 6, the CA
cert bundle is part of the ca-certificates RPM:

/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt

> You could try adding your CA cert
pem file to the end of that file, or wherever the bundle lives.

Ralph Mitchell

<Jason.Chambers at geosoft.com> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just
upgraded to Fedora 18, and now servers that have SSL signed by our
internal CA is failing. The http test simply shows "SSL error" meanwhile
our public (GoDaddy) certs aren't causing issues. Is there a log file I
can peer into to find out why I'm getting these error messages all of a
sudden?

>> Jason Chambers
>> Network Administrator | Geosoft

geosoft.com [1] | blog [2] | twitter [3] | linkedIn [4] | facebook [5] |
T +1 416.369.0111 #344 [6] | M +1 416.508.1410 [7]

>> Trending topic
on Earth Explorer: VOXI Earth Modelling [8]

Xymon at xymon.com

[9]

Links:
------