[Xymon] fping error code 4

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jan 11 01:16:10 CET 2013

I think the key here is the "select".  To me, this suggests that the
select() system call (which is used to read data on STDIN from xymonnet) is
trying to get data from a closed socket, or a similar problem.  I wonder if
fping, which is run from xymonnet, is sometimes taking so long to run, and
eventually xymonlaunch is killing xymonnet.

By default, xymonlaunch (in tasks.cfg) kills xymonnet after 5 minutes, but
xymonnetagain is killed off after only 1 minute.  So if you have a lot of
hosts that are uncontactable, or have long ping times, then this might add
up to a minute.

To confirm this, check out the "xymonnet" dot on your Xymon server, and
look at the "TIME SPENT" table for ping test duration.