[Xymon] experience with BMC Patrol

Nico nicolas at lienard.name
Thu Jan 10 22:24:12 CET 2013

Hi

In my company, previously, we were using BMC Patrol.

It costs lot of licence money and for any new specific check, you have to pay.

The main reason we migrate to xymon :

- licence very expensive,
- only basic metric (cpu, mem, disk). you have to pay for specific checks (oracle, sql server, whatever etc). you can t develop your own check :(
- no url check (it was 10 years ago, maybe it changed) with content search.
- no network/firewall/storage monitoring (maybe we didn t pay for it).
- difficult to integrate with 3rd party (CMDB, Ticketing tool).

i remember the BMC console was on a solaris, and we had to launch X to see it.
Meaning there were no Web GUI to see the device and alerts... . it was so slow when you got more than 100 devices. (we got now > 11 000 monitored devices by Xymon, i don t want to imagine how it could be with Patrol).

the main reason to use xymon is it is flexible, one single tool to monitor everything (system/network/firewall/storage/esx/application/url/backup) and you can easily develop around it to match your business needs.

I hope for BMC that after 10 years it changed .... maybe you should request a demo to have a good opinion.

if you want to see screenshot: http://support.sas.com/rnd/emi/BMCPatrol/SASPatrolMeta.html

Cheers
NIco