[Xymon] Xymon with Bacula

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Thu Jan 10 19:48:21 CET 2013

On 01/10/13 13:30, Joseph De Nicolo wrote:
> Xymon Users,
>
> I was wondering if anybody had experience with using xymon to monitor a bacula
> backup server.
> I am running a dedicated xymon server, and the bacula backup server is offsite
> for backup reasons. I have a xymon client only installation on the bacula
> server so I can receive cpu, disk, and the other system monitors. I came
> across this xymon extension script (
> http://www.revpol.com/xymon_bacula_check_script ) and I installed in on the
> client side ( bacula backup server ). I followed the instructions (using
> method 2 bconsole access & modifying the script to fit my environment ) and
> the test of the xymon user ability to use bconsole works fine.
>
> I am not seeing a backup or bacula section on the xymon server webpage. My
> guess is that I have to add it somehow to the hosts.cfg file on the server
> side but this is my first custom script / xymon extension that I had to use so
> I'm not sure what the syntax should look like for the hosts.cfg. Should I
> specify the full script name like this ( 155.x.x.101 backup # ssh
> xymon_bacula_check.sh )? Perhaps there is something else im missing server
> side that needs to be done like put the custom script in  server/ext ?
>
> Appreciate the help
> Thanks,
> *_                                                            _*
> */Joseph De Nicolo/*

Hi Joseph,

You can run that (or any external script) manually like so:

# ~xymon/client/bin/xymoncmd ~xymon/client/ext/xymon_bacula_check.sh

and the new column should automatically and immediately appear for your bacula
server on your xymon interface.

If that works, then I have a couple guesses as to what might be wrong:

Is it possible that you cut and pasted that older information on that page
into the  ~xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg file on the bacula server?

That page was written back when Xymon was in mid process of a complete system
name change from hobbit to xymon. For a while, many files and variables had
kept their "hobbit" name.   So any mention of hobbit in there should probably
now be "xymon" assuming your running a relatively recent version of Xymon.

Also, the instructions on that page do not mention it, but I am pretty sure
that you need to restart the xymon client on the bacula server for it to
reread the clientlaunch.cfg file so it can start running that script every 5 mins.

I'll verify and then I will update that page. ;)

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC