[Xymon] What determines displayed columns?

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Thu Jan 10 14:46:09 CET 2013

This is coming from your hosts.cfg.

If 1 host has a tag on it, that tag will by default display for all
other hosts. The solution is to use the GROUP-ONLY or GROUP-EXCEPT tags
in your hosts.cfg.  This tells Xymon to display (or exclude) the
specified tags until it comes to another "GROUP" tag.

Ultimately, you will likely need to create multiple pages and subpages
to display data in a well organized fashion.  Putting groups of like
hosts on different pages.  Note, that if a host is listed more than once
in the host file, xymon can get confused as to which to use, so you
should specify with a 'prefer' tag For example, your hosts.cfg may end
up looking like:

******************************
page system SYSTEM
group-only conn|cpu|memory|info
1.2.3.4.host1 # conn my_test1 my_test2 my_test3 prefer
1.2.3.5 host2 # conn my_test1 my_test2 my_test3 prefer

page other OTHER
group-only my_test1|my_test2|my_test3
0.0.0.0 host1 #
0.0.0.0 host2 #

On your main page you will have two icons.  One named SYSTEM, the other
named OTHER.  If you click on the System icon, the page will display you
two hosts, only showing conn, cpu, memory, and info.  If you click on
the Other icon, it will display your hosts only showing my_test1,
my_test2, and my_test3.  You'll notice that sine the hosts are listed
twice, there is a prefer tag in the first group, with all of the tags
added to that host.  The second occurrence of the hosts doesn't need any
defining data since Xymon already knows about it from the first occurrence.

Michael Beatty