[Xymon] Log/file monitoring based on occurrence?

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Thu Jan 10 13:50:57 CET 2013

You will need tell client-local.cfg which log to gather data from.
While you can't specify in the last Y amount of time, you can specify Y
amount of data.  So if you know your log file writes about 1000 bytes
per hour... and you want to look back 4 hours, you would specify in
client-local.cfg "log:/var/log/mylogfile:4000"  This will return the
most recent 4000 bytes worth of data to Xymon.

Your next step is to configure analysis.cfg to tell xymon how to report
on that data. If you want xymon to alert if it sees the word "ERROR",
your analysis.cfg would have a line in it "LOG /var/log/mylogfile %ERROR"

Look at the analysis.cfg and client-local.cfg man pages for information
on the LOG check.

Michael Beatty
Sherwin-Williams
IT Analyst/Developer