[Xymon] [Newbie] Understanding client-server configuration (terabithia's rpm 4.3.10-1.fc17)

Sergey a_s_y at sama.ru
Thu Feb 28 13:28:08 CET 2013

On Thursday 28 February 2013, Jeremy Laidman wrote:

> > 1. I need to make some network's tests on client and transfer results
> > to server. Should I setup client installation or server installation
> > in this case ?
>
> It depends on the network tests you want to run.  If they are standard
> xymonnet checks, such as ssh or dns, then you only need to configure them
> on the server in hosts.cfg.  Can you tell us what network tests you want
> to run ?

I need connections tests to another hosts. If I understood correctly, I need
to install the server in this case. Ok. I attempted to do it now. Secondary
server sending self data (cpu, disk e.t.c.) to main server, but not sending
information about connection.  hosts.cfg of secondary server:

0.0.0.0         xymon-client.my.dom                # bbd
172.30.1.10     server2.my.dom                     #

I see only  "xymon-server.my.dom" and "xymon-client.my.dom" (with their
tests) on information web page of mail server. Is there a chance to see
"server2.my.dom" on the main server ?

> I've never run in localmode, so not sure.  But it would seem that
> xymond_client binary only exists in the Xymon server package, and not in
> the Xymon client package.  My Xymon clients (that aren't servers) don't
> have xymond_client anywhere.  From reading the localclient.cfg file, it
> would seem that the "--local" option is only for use on Xymon clients that
> are also Xymon servers.

Ok, thanks. I will try to verify with it later.

> > 3. About package.
> > xymon package contains xymonclient-*.sh for non linux. All this removed
> > from xymon-client. Are they forgotten in xymon package or they needed ?
>
> Nope, they're not needed.  But they're always there.

Thanks again.

> It makes it easy to copy the files to another server and run them.

But xymon contains binary files. They should be rebuild for another
system...

Sergey