[Xymon] weird problem.

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Wed Feb 27 00:47:14 CET 2013

On 26/02/13 8:26 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 26/02/13 19:47, Neil Simmonds wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I’ve got a strange problem that I’m trying to diagnose and would
>> appreciate any help you can give.
>>

>> We have 2 new servers that have recently been set up that are Aix
>> servers running the hobbit client. We have 62 other Aix server with
>> the same client running absolutely fine.
>>

>> The problem is that the client data is getting cut off mid stream.
>> It’s always in the ps output. I’ve checked the MAX settings and there
>> all ok, in fact we have other clients that are sending data files
>> larger than these that are working fine. I’ve checked the data on the
>> client and it’s complete but if I look in /xymon/data/hostdata on the
>> server the data seems to be almost always getting truncated to 69518
>> bytes. Occasionally a full message (approx 93k) gets through.
>>

>> There are no messages regarding truncated data in the server logs and
>> the only message I can find on the client is the following,
>>

>> 2013-02-26 08:41:21 Write error while sending message to
>> bbd at xymonserver:1984
>>
>> 2013-02-26 08:41:21 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - write error
>>

>> I’ve googled this extensively and can’t find anything that seems
>> relevant to our problem.
>>

> I get this from time to time, primarily when the xymon host has very
> limited bandwidth. It seems to me that Xymon will accept whatever data
> has been received prior to the connection being broken/interrupted,
> and pretend it is complete (as opposed to discarding it away).

The problem is that there isn't a well defined "end of message" on a
standard client report. The message starts with "client HOSTNAME.OS
CLASS" line then consists of a bunch of sections starting with
"[section]" lines followed by lines of text. When the client has
finished sending its message it just does a shutdown on the write socket
and reads any returned data until EOF. That's it. The server probably
doesn't care if the client even reads the data it sends back, and has no
way of communicating with it anyway.

So if the client connection to the server is interrupted mid-stream, the
server quite probably just handles it as a socket shutdown and accepts
whatever has been received so far as the whole message.
> If this is happening frequently/all the time, I would suspect firewall
> settings, and/or MTU issues (if it is packet size related). Check that
> you are not blocking all ICMP, or that path MTU discovery is working
> properly, check any firewall is not timing out or blocking the
> connection for some reason, and that there is enough bandwidth for the
> messages.
>
> Potentially, a tcpdump at both client and server could be educational,
> possibly load these into wireshark for analysis.
>
> PS, I wonder when we will get compression, and/or encryption for the
> status messages? Both would assist in making sure the complete message
> arrives un-altered...

Indeed. There are other ways of delivering/fetching messages - maybe
worth exploring for more reliable transmission.

David.
> Regards,
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Goryachev
> Website Managers
> www.websitemanagers.com.au

David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services
Australian Sports Commission          http://ausport.gov.au
Tel 02 62147830 Fax 02 62141830       PO Box 176 Belconnen ACT 2616
david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au          Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.