[Xymon] Client install gone wrong

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Dec 17 18:22:32 CET 2013

On 12/16/2013 6:55 PM, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
> The "client side" version behaves like legacy Big Brother in that
> settings for monitoring the client are made on each individual
> client, as opposed to the config files residing on the server. The
> client-side config version/build I've been told before is not well
> maintained (as in may have been broken by recent code changes). The
> reason for this is that for virtually all use cases, the server-side
> config client build is superior (who wants to log into 50+ clients to
> change their configs vs logging into one server to do the same)?

In our use-case, we specifically do not support server-side
configurations. The Xymon server is run by a central group which does
not know the business rules for the client systems. The owner of the
client decides what logs to scrape, and what memory/disk thresholds
concern them.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services