[Xymon] Ping Mulitple IPs Per System?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Aug 26 05:05:00 CEST 2013

On 24 August 2013 03:53, Shackelford, Ken <ken.shackelford at siemens.com>wrote:

>  I’ve found the “xymonnet” program
> that does much the same thing as bb-network.sh, but there is no way to
> specify a different configuration file other than hosts.cfg.

Yes there is.

>         In short, is there a way to have a second IP address for a system
> and have Xymon produce a second “conn” (or whatever
> name) column for that IP?   I know I could just add two entries to
> hosts.cfg (“machine” and “machine.serial” or some such), but that
> seems a bit like a kludge.

I would think that running xymonnet with a different hosts.cfg file is a
bigger kludge.  But I think this option is better for operators.

You can run xymonnet and specify HOSTSCFG to point to the hosts.cfg file
you want.  The default setting, defined in xymonserver.cfg is
"$XYMONHOME/etc/hosts.cfg".  In the same way you can define a different
column for ping tests, as defined by the CONNTEST environment variable.  So
you could run a second xymonnet out of tasks.cfg/tasks.d like so:

 [xymonnetping2]
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        NEEDS xymond
        CMD HOSTSCFG=$XYMONHOME/etc/hosts2.cfg xymonnet CONNTEST=conn2
--report --ping --dns-timeout=3
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
        INTERVAL 5m