[Xymon] clustered xymonserver using XYMONSERVERS

Roland Soderstrom Rolands at logicaltech.com.au
Wed Apr 17 05:45:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

Just want to let anyone out there know how I worked out a cheap and easy xymon server "cluster"

I really have no idea if this is the correct way of doing this but it works flawlessly for me.
I had 1 xymon server, pxym01, running Solaris 10 and xymon 4.3.10

I wanted to get another "backup server" if this one fails. (it has some disk issues which resolves in recoverable errors at the moment)
This is a brief step by step how I configured a second xymon server.

* Install Solaris 10 on new server (pxym02)
* Install all pre-requisite for running a Xymon server, this should be the same as the existing pxym01.
* Change ALL xymon-clients to use XYMONSERVERS
Vi /usr/local/xymon/client/etc/xymonclient.cfg
XYMSRV="0.0.0.0"                        # IP address of the Xymon server
XYMSERVERS="192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2"    # IP of multiple Xymon servers. XYMSRV must be "0.0.0.0".
* copy /etc/apache2/httpd.conf from pxym01 to pxym02 and change it to suit pxym02, you need f.ex. change the port and ip-address
* copy /usr/local/xymon directory from pxym01 to pxym02 (this obviously requires same arch and OS on both servers)
* change /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hosts on both xymon servers
192.168.1.1   pxym01   # bbd http://pxym01:8082/xymon/xymon.html
192.168.1.2   pxym02   # bbd http://pxym02:8083/xymon/xymon.html
* change /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg on pxym02, change ip and xymonserver name
* start apache2
* start xymon on pxym02

As we copied the whole xymon directory all history is there, graphs and the lot.

One funny thing I noticed, is it a bug?
The CPU test also checks the time difference and if the time diffs more than 10secs between xymonserver and xymonclient the test goes yellow.
In the list of XYMSERVERS="192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2" it will check with the first one in the list not the second??
In this example if I take down 192.168.1.1 the cpu time diff test goes yellow on 192.168.1.2.
If I swap them around XYMSERVERS="192.168.1.2 192.168.1.1" it works again.

Have fun.

- Roland Soderstrom