[Xymon] Fwd: About CPU load (OPEN)

oyvind.bjorge at telenor.com oyvind.bjorge at telenor.com
Mon Apr 8 10:03:04 CEST 2013

To be able to estimate this it is good to understand what this load value is showing.
There is plenty of people that has explained this in a better way than I’m able to (This is one example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_(computing)), but still I will give you my very simplified understanding.
The load is number of tasks in the runque. In my head, to utilize your resources perfectly, the value 1 for single CPU would be good, since than there should be minimal delay, but still there is always something to do for the CPU. If the value are > 1 for a single cpu, than there will be wait time for tasks to be done. This is not necessary an issue, depending on what the machine is used for, and the world is not perfect, so this will not always be the same. Therefor it also is an average value we are monitoring. A long que for a short time is normal and the reason we have ques. Problem is if the que over time is longer than the cpu can process giving delay and degraded performance. Again, what is acceptable for one machine is depending on the tasks it shall do.