[Xymon] Scaling

Larry Barber lebarber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 20:54:50 CEST 2013

Well, I'm monitoring ~2000 hosts on a fairly modest box (8 3Ghz cores, 8 GB
of memory). I'm also running quite a few cpu intensive scripts on the same
box that could be easily moved to another host, if needed. I do the network
testing on separate hosts in each of our major security zones, for
reliability of the tests more than to unload the main Xymon server. The
main server is not operating anywhere near its capacity, it's using less
than 10% (physical) of it's memory and the load average tends to stay
around 1. I suspect that the box could handle 5000 hosts without too much
trouble, maybe more.

If you do have scaling problems there are some things you can do, though.
Move things like the network tests to separate hosts. You can also move the
alerting to a different host using xymonproxy. I've found that the most
likely limit you're likely to hit with Xymon is disk i/o, this can be
helped by moving the data directory to SAN.

Thanks,
Larry Barber