[Xymon] Best way to monitor for configuration value?

Tim McCloskey tm at freedom.com
Thu Sep 20 04:49:20 CEST 2012

From: Jeremy Laidman [jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au]

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:29 PM

To: Tim McCloskey

Cc: betsy.schwartz at gmail.com; xymon at xymon.com

Subject: Re: [Xymon] Best way to monitor for configuration value?

On 20 September 2012 07:25, Tim McCloskey
<tm at freedom.com> wrote:

You could use md5 but if the config file has other changes that you don't care about then this wont work.  Unless there is only one value that changes I don't see any other option except an external test, which whould be easy to implement.

What would be really useful, I think, is the ability to specify a custom hash command using backticks.  Something like this:

client-local.cfg:
    file:/path/to/file:`/usr/bin/sed -n '/^var=/s/^var=//p' /path/to/file`

analysis.cfg:
    HOST=blabla
        FILE /path/to/file HASH="foo"

Jeremy,

Both pretty cool ideas, never knew about linecount.  Then, I'm still on 4.2.0 so there's alot I don't know :)
External scripts work fine for me, but I like the integration that Xymon now gives out of the box.

Thanks,
-t