[Xymon] Devmon - scalability ?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Sep 17 08:14:23 CEST 2012

On 16 September 2012 22:13, Nico <nicolas at lienard.name> wrote:

> we got a xymon server polling ~ 8100 network devices (mainly cisco).
> devmon is used as well but the polling period is high: > 600 sec. (10 mn ).
> some purple are coming/leaving randomly :(

i m wondering if any people here have some tuning recommendations to have a
> better polling time (less than 300 sec  idealy).
> for the moment, NUMFORKS is 60 (default 10) .

Have you tried increasing numforks beyond 60?

Have you tried decreasing cycletime (default is 60 seconds)?  This
determines how log a fork will wait until looking for more work to do, so
if it's too large, there will be work in the queue waiting to be processed
for a long time, with a bunch of sleeping forks doing nothing.

maybe running a second devmon instance on the same server could be better.

You could try this.  But I don't see how this could be any better than
increasing numforks.  If anything, it could be worse, especially if you
don't separate the work.

Ensure you define cid() and model() in hosts.cfg for every host with
"DEVMON:".  For optimal efficiency, the following should produce no output:

  $ xymoncmd xymongrep 'devmon*'|egrep -v "cid.*model|model.*cid"

Cheers
Jeremy