[Xymon] xymon-mailack

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Oct 2 07:58:41 CEST 2012

On 2 October 2012 02:46, Ray Reuter <ray.reuter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Centos 6.2

By default Centos (aka Red Hat) v6 boxes run postfix (rather than Sendmail).

During my install I do not remember installing anything as the mail
> transport, but the alerting was working right out of the box from day one.

Initially, postfix is configured so it won't accept SMTP connections from
off the box.  So outbound emails will get sent OK, but incoming emails will
not get delivered to the Xymon server.

Test this by attempting to telnet to the Xymon server on port 25 from
another device, such as a Windows PC, with "telnet xymon.server.name 25".
 If you get a "connection refused" or similar message, than you need to
reconfigure Postfix to accept remote connections.

> I followed the man page for the mailack and created everything as per the
> instructions, but I am not even sure the mail is reaching the server at
> this point.

Probably not.  Have a look at the "STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README" file that
came with Postfix for instructions on setting things up, particularly the
"Postfix on a local network" section.