[Xymon] Purple storm

Jamison Maxwell jamison at newasterisk.com
Tue Mar 20 23:11:17 CET 2012

I think the interesting sniffer would be on the DC's that remain up.  Just to make sure I got this straight, you've got two DC's on the LAN with Xymon and two DC's in your DR site.  You shutdown the DC's in the DR site and now queries are timing  out (or something) to the DC's on the LAN.

If that's the case, I would first look at DNS on the DC's.  If you do a packet capture on the DC's filtered by UDP 53 and the only packets from or to your Xymon server, then this would show whether the queries are making to your remaining DC's and if there is any delay in the response.   It wouldn't surprise me is Windows was so worried about the missing domain controllers that it forgot to respond to DNS queries.  If there's not, then refer to the tcpump you have going on on your Xymon server to make sure the packets are making it back with acceptable latency.

I'm making the assumption that your DNS configuration has the zone in question as a primary, Active Directory integrated zone, also, are you running a caching DNS server on your Xymon system?  I've seen some odd results with DNS caching.  What order are the name servers in /etc/resolv.conf?  I was playing with Debian this weekend and for some reason, no matter what I did it would not use any other name server than the first one in the list except for dig and nslookups, but not for regular queries.

Of course you could always just install your favorite DNS server on your Xymon system and transfer the zones as secondary zones from your Windows boxes, that'll definitely solve the problem and remove the prerequisite of your DC's staying up so Xymon works.  ...matter of fact, I think I'll do that myself....

Jamison Maxwell