[Xymon] DNS test - test of server or resolution?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 16:05:01 CET 2012

Hello,

I have just started to look at Xymon (4.3.7), and currently have the
server monitoring itself.

I'm a bit confused with the DNS test. What is it trying to test:
1) that the local host has a running name server (e.g. bind, unbind
etc)?
2) that the local server can perform DNS resolution using any name
server?
3) that the local host has a running name server and that it can perform
resolution using it?

As far as I can tell the answer is '3'. I have no name server on the
local host (hence getting a red icon), but do have DNS resolution. Is
there a way to configure the DNS test to just check on resolution, and
leave the 'procs' test to check if 'named' is running or not?

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001