[Xymon] SSH test checks too often for a device

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Jun 28 11:28:39 CEST 2012

Hiya

I have a few devices on which I do an ssh check.  These devices have some
sort of self-defence mechanism and they throttle connecting to the sshd
process if they get failed connections (with no login) at too high a rate.
 Unfortunately, twice every 5 minutes (I have two Xymon servers) is
sometimes a bit too often, and once they start to fail, I'm guessing that
xymonnet-again.sh starts to hammer them every minute.  The devices are
appliances such that I cannot configure this behaviour.

I know there's a funky NET:location hack that can be used to adjust the
frequency of the net tests for nominated hosts, but I see no way to limit
the effect to only the ssh test, and so all tests will be slowed down.

Can anyone think of a better way to do this than the NET:location hack?  I
only want to slow down the ssh tests.

Cheers
Jeremy