[Xymon] [Bbwin-help] Custom reporting columns with BBWin--possible?

Malcolm Hunter malcolm.hunter at gmx.com
Wed Jun 27 10:42:14 CEST 2012

Hi Alex,

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Hoffer
Sent: 06/27/12 01:41 AM
To: bbwin-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Bbwin-help] Custom reporting columns with BBWin--possible?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible in BBWin to report results under other columns, rather than just the default pre-programmed ones--and if it is possible, how to do it? For example, I have a set of msgs rules in my BBWin config file that look for specific event IDs appearing in the event viewer. Currently, whenever any of these events occurs, I get a red status in the msgs column on the Xymon server. I want to break these down in the reporting display so that I have separate columns for each of the event IDs, rather than just having the results for all of them lumped under the single msgs test. I myself am a total BBWin/Xymon newbie, but I have talked with the Xymon experts in our org and they say this is easy to do with the Unix Xymon client but aren't sure whether BBWin can support this.
 You need to write a custom script to interrogate the event logs then use the externals agent to send the results to the server. The msgs column will still display all event log messages (unless you add ignore rules). For an example of using externals, have a look at the fsmon.vbs script.

 Malcolm
--
 BBWin Development - The Windows client for Big Brother and Xymon

 http://bbwin.sourceforge.net
 http://xymon.sourceforge.net