[Xymon] Xymon and BBWin: issue with special german characters in MS Windows service names

Becker Christian christian.becker at rhein-zeitung.net
Tue Jun 26 09:55:41 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I have a Xymon server running Xymon 4.3.7 on RHEL 6.1. This setup is working fine.
Then I have a couple of Windows servers running BBWin 01.2 in local mode with update feature enabled. This is also running fine.

During the deeper configuration phase I recognized that I have an issue with the special german characters.
I found this when I wanted to include services from one of our MS Exchange servers: we have servers running a german MS Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1, together with a german MS Exchange 2010.
One of the services is the "MSExchangeMailSubmission", but this is "just" the service name. I think in Xymon (or better: in BBWin) one has to include the display name of the service one wants to monitor (?). The thing is, that the display name of this specific service is "Microsoft Exchange-Mailübergabe". That's it. The special german character "ü"  screws up the setup in that way, that this particular service won't get displayed in my setup.

That's not only a problem with our Exchange servers, but for my understanding it is a problem in the "playing together" between the Xymon and the BBWin setup, or better: it is a problem with the german MS Windows setup.

To troubleshoot this thing I changed the locale of my Xymon server from "en_US.utf8" to "LANG=de_DE.UTF-8", and after that to "LANG=de_DE.iso885915 at euro", but without any success.
I could monitor these specific services as processes, but this is not what I want.

Do I need to change something else in my setup. i.e. in my webserver?

Any help would be appreciated...

Christian

CHRISTIAN BECKER
System Engineer
CSC

August-Horch-Strasse 28, 56070 Koblenz, Germany
Global Outsourcing Services Central Region  |  cbecker4 at csc.com  |  www.csc.com

CSC * This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose * CSC Deutschland Services GmbH * Registered Office: Abraham-Lincoln-Park 1, 65189 Wiesbaden, Germany * Board of Directors: Gerhard Fercho (Chairman),Thomas Nebe, Peter Schmidt * Registered in Germany: HRB 7574, Wiesbaden