[Xymon] Include user ID in PROC search string

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Mon Jun 25 16:25:23 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I have been trying to persuade Xymon to search for a process and alert on its non-existence, a simple task using the analysis.cfg file like so:

HOST=host1
PROC "amd64/java" 1 1 red

Whilst this has worked previously the developers have now introduced a dependency that the process should only be run by a specific user (i.e. not root). I thought I could get away with:

PROC "%javauser.*amd64/java" 1 1 red

in the expectation that Xymon is testing against the whole of the output from ps(1) and in this case would only match  Java processes run by the javauser user, but sadly this is not the case, I cannot persuade Xymon to match against the process name AND the user who is running it.

Am I missing something/doing something wrong or is this the way Xymon works?

|\/|

Martin Ward
Manager, Technical Services
Service Operations

DDI:+44 (0) 20 7863 5218 / Fax: +44 (0)20 7863 9999 /  www.colt.net<http://www.colt.net/>
Colt Technology Services, Unit 12, Powergate Business Park, Volt Avenue, Park Royal, London, NW10 6PW, UK.

Help reduce your carbon footprint | Think before you print. Registered in England and Wales, registered number 02452736, VAT number GB 645 4205 50

[Colt Disclaimer]
This email is from an entity of the Colt group of companies.
Colt Group S.A., K2 Building, Forte 1, 2a rue Albert Borschette, L-1246 Luxembourg, R.C.S. B115679.
Corporate and contact information for our entities can be found at
http://colt.net/uk/en/Colt-Group-of-Companies/index.htm.
Internet communications are not secure and Colt does not accept
responsibility for the accurate transmission of this message. Content
of this email or its attachments is not legally or contractually binding
unless expressly previously agreed in writing by Colt