[Xymon] xymonnet "red"

Joseph Acquisto joea at j4computers.com
Fri Jun 15 16:20:01 CEST 2012

xymonnet version 4.3.7   Shows red.  New-ish install.  Has been red all along.

Found this on the page details:

"Error output:
Execution of '/usr/sbin/fping -Ae' failed - program not suid root?
This program can only be run by root, or it must be setuid root."

I find fping in /usr/sbin.  It works logged in as root if I specify a host name
or IP, even a bogus one (for latter, it reports "address not found".

However, if I do not specify a host (just do "fping") it appears to hang.  I did
not wait for hours, just a couple of minutes.

But that is not likely the cause, because if I say

su - xymon -c "/usr/sbin/fping -Ae something"  I get"

"This program can only be run by root, or it must be setuid root."

Have I missed a step in setting up?  Or am I still sleeping?

joe a.