[Xymon] Hand editing config files

Ulric Eriksson ulric at siag.nu
Thu Jun 14 16:43:02 CEST 2012

Henrik Størner skrev 2012-06-13 23:04:

> And it has made me consider the idea of using a database for storing at
> least some of the configuration - first of all the hosts.cfg
> configuration of hosts, IP-adresses and network tests. This would make
> some things simpler, others a bit more complex - "xymongrep", for
> instance - but would also make it a lot easier to provide a GUI for
> managing what hosts are being monitored.

Having users hand-edit text files makes Xymon a non-starter for many
organizations. And as you mentioned, even someone who is familiar with
Xymon makes mistakes. Storing the configuration in a database and
creating a user friendly management interface is definitely the right
way to go.

The whole thing can be bolted on to the existing code base with no
changes to anything else. Just have the configuration system generate
text configuration files in the same syntax as today and anybody who is
able and willing to create the files manually can continue to do so.

FWIW, I think the lack of proper client/server functionality makes
Sqlite unsuitable for the purpose.

Ulric