[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Larry Barber lebarber at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 01:21:35 CEST 2012

The thing that makes the big difference to me is how easy it is to hook
into Xymon. It makes it easier for your tool to match your business rather
than having to force your business processes to match your tool. I've
created several addons to Xymon to make it is easier to use in our
environment. The ease you can access the Xymon's internal data
(xymondboard) and tap into Xymon's data streams (xymond_channel) make
writing such things fairly easy. A couple of rabble-rousers at my place of
work were agitating for a move to Nagios a while back so I had to look at
Nagios fairly closely, and it would have been a nightmare duplicating that
functionality in Nagios. I suspect Xenoss would be even worse, any changes
or additions you want would probably have to be done by Xenoss' developers,
on their schedule (and budget).

Another think I really like about Xymon is its lack of polling, all the
internal data is pushed from the clients, this makes it a much easier sell
to security types.

Thanks,
Larry Barber