[Xymon] Graph right-axis in Xymon

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:09:10 CEST 2012

Excellent!  I wondered if it might be rrdtool, which is why I posted OS and
rrdtool version

Ralph Mitchell
On Jun 11, 2012 10:33 AM, "SebA" <spah at syntec.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> So I tried your example and it didn't work for me.  I therefore concluded
there was a problem with my rrdtool.  It turns out that the version used by
xymon was not the version I thought - it was an even older one I had
compiled way back when, rather than the newer version installed by yum.
The older version didn't support the right-axis options!  Doh!  So I
removed the compiled version, yum installed rrdtool-devel (which was
missing) and reconfigured and recompiled xymon.  Now right-axis works!  (In
multi-line format.)

> I'm not too worried about getting it working in single-line format, but
thanks so much for all the help!  I would probably have given up without
you assuring me it could work.

> Kind regards,
>
> SebA
>

>> ________________________________

on my system at work I just modified the [la] entry with extra lines like
this:

>>         AREA:la#00CC00:CPU Load Average
>>         -u 1.0
>>         --right-axis
>>         1:0
>>         --right-axis-label
>>         Load
>>         GPRINT:la:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
>>
>> and that gives me markers and a label on the right axis of the cpu
graphs.

>> What I meant by "set it up as a single line" was to make it look similar
the -u & -l options:

>>         --right-axis 1:0
>>         --right-axis-label Load
>>
>> That will require some code additions, as noted in my earlier email.
>>
>> This is working in SLES11, with rrdtool-1.3.7
>>
>> Ralph Mitchell
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM, SebA <spah at syntec.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ralph,
>>>
>>> I tried it on the la (default CPU) graph (in various positions) and it
does not work for me on Xymon 4.3.7.  My rrd version is old but it does
support right-axis.  Can you share the entire graphs.cfg entry you have
working (or preferably using one of the default graphs)?

>>> I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'To set it up as a single line in
graphs.cfg'...  There's more to it than adding an axis and a label?

>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> SebA

work on xymon-4.3.7/web/showgraph.c.  Starting at line 1068, you can see
how other options work, such as --title, height, width, upperlimit &
lowerlimit.  I think you'd need to add something to the gdef_t struct and
some handling in load_gdefs at line 314.  Dunno what else.