[Xymon] Separate column for network interface stats?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jul 20 02:30:40 CEST 2012

John

You need three things to make this happen: a) the ifstat page needs to
exist, b) svcstatus.cgi needs to know that graphs exist, and c) an [ifstat]
graph definition must exist in graphs.cfg.

a) The ifstat status page needs to exist, so you could perhaps do this by
adding to clientlaunch.cfg on the client:

[ifstat]
        # create a dummy page for ifstat graphs
        ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
        CMD /bin/sh -c '$XYMONCLIENTHOME/bin/xymon $XYMSRV \"status
$MACHINE.ifstat green `date`\"'
        LOGFILE $XYMONCLIENTLOGS/xymonclient.log
        INTERVAL 5m

b) Add ",ifstat" to the TEST2RRD definition.

c) The graphs.cfg provided in the standard code should already have an
[ifstat] section, so nothing to do here.

I'm slightly concerned that TEST2RRD will also be telling xymond_rrd to
create RRD files from the status messages, and that this might interfere
with the standard mechanism for populating these RRD files from the client
data.  But I'm guessing that xymond_rrd will simply log a parsing failure
with the status report, and bail, rather than cause any actual problem.

Cheers
Jeremy